Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Poor garden!

Oh my poor, poor garden. I'm not sure how the weather is affecting your plants where you all live, but my little neck of the plains is not very hospitable. Our heat index has been over 100 for about two weeks and we have at least 10 more days of this Inferno. The automatic sprinklers go off about 5AM four days a week. Also, I think we have a bug problem. I'm hoping you all can look at the photos and give me a little advice.

First, here is my little bird/flower garden:

Garden update

Most of my daisy flowers and one purple coneflower have died.

And here is my vegetable garden:

Garden update

Yikes. The tomatoes are still producing fruit but the leaves are crispy.

Rotten? Bug infested? What the heck?

Garden update

The zucchini plant was thriving. Tons of blossoms, huge leaves, etc. Today I found it wilted, rotting. I tried to move the plant a little to see under some leaves and the stem broke right off. This is what I found inside. Gross.

Garden update

It looks rotted to me. Like how it should look in the fall.

Garden update

This is the leafy part of the plant.

But I got one, giant zucchini that had hidden itself away!

Garden update

Rest in peace green pepper. I shall avenge you with insecticide. Organic, of course.

Garden update

This year is my experimental year. Seeing what works, how the light falls in the yard, how freakin' hot can it get, etc. It doesn't help that I'm pregnant enough to not want to be gardening outside in the heat. I do plan on picking up some organic garden spray to kill the bugs and will do so this weekend.

So what is the verdict? Other than the bugs, is this a heat related zucchini-side? Too much water? I welcome your thoughts, oh wise friends!

Stay cool, stay sane. Tschus.

3 comments:

  1. One thing to do next year or this year if you can salvage anything is to plant marigolds, onions or garlic chives inbetween your plants. The bugs hate the smell of all of them. I live by the marigolds. don't water during the day-water at night, after dusk-this prevents the leaves from burning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the end of the year, buy some garden lime and work it into the soil. And what Pam said about marigolds et. al. is absolutely right on! I put sage and basil in with my tomatoes and beans this year and they've barely been nibbled. Also, you're over-watering; a good soak (at dusk like Pam said!) every other day is good enough even in this heat. Heat, warm soil and too much water are what killed your zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! We will switch watering times immediately. I let things dry out for a few days and will do a water tonight.

    ReplyDelete