The last week has been non-stop stitching and cleaning (more so stitching.) I was so happy to get all levels of the house vacuumed and half the house dusted. I also got the back yard scooped, which was a huge relief. Dogs are, if nothing else, very regular creatures.
On Friday morning I drove Samus the rat to the vet. Overnight she developed a huge lump in her belly area. The vet said it's probably a benign tumor and it needs to come out. These things can grow to be half the size of the animal and it could kill her by its sheer size. Poor Sammie. I took Ashley, her sister, with for the ride. While the vet examined Samus, Ashley tried to climb onto the vet to see what was happening. I know people think rodents are disgusting but rats are very social, inquisitive and pack animals. They cuddle together, groom each other and try to kick a vet's ass during an exam. So, in trying to work out how to budget this, I scheduled her surgery for two weeks. Hopefully we'll be able to squeeze that in among licensing the vehicles and paying taxes.
Fuck.
Also on Friday we picked up our former foster dog. Horr'y is back! So far he's hiding out in the kennel most of the time. There have been some warning growls and a general attitude of distrust but nothing major. I don't know what kind of "training" program he was supposed to be enrolled in but it didn't work. He won't come when called and doesn't seem as socialized as he was before. So we have some work to do. The other dogs are curious about him but not terribly so. Tobin likes to follow him around the yard, peeing on anything Horr'y even looks at.
I'll do some health updates in the next post. Tschus.
You are so wonderful. Thank you for being a champion of animals!
ReplyDeleteAh, the things we don't buy so our pets can get medical care! I know the feeling.
ReplyDeleteYou are the best!