[Click here to learn more about Rheumatoid Arthritis, or RA.]
Bad Bex! I took yesterday off from exercising and I probably should have just done it. I didn't do it today either but to give myself a little credit, I have been gimping around for the past two days. My knees and fingers are really painful lately, which can be attributed to working out at too high of an impact and lots of stitching.
I had my regular rheumatology appointment today with the physician's assistant. She was great and talked with me for about a half an hour. I told her what's been going on, we discussed my last lab results and discussed further treatment options. I was happy to hear my liver levels are back to normal. I'll keep having my blood checked every two months to check liver functions as well as my white cell count.
I also asked her what would happen if I cease taking my medication. What exactly happens if you do not treat RA? I didn't know that the constant inflammation in the body can attack the lungs and heart. Not only would I risk those wearing away my joints and cartilage, but it can cause heart disease. I also asked her if it was common for someone like me to show normal lab results while receiving treatment but still have pain and fatigue. She said absolutely. That's why it's important, she went on, to treat the person, not the lab result. Gotcha.
I also discussed with her concerns about medication and co-pay costs. I walked out of there with two samples of my biologic which made me so grateful. I was able to finally take my shot today and I started a new therapy along with it.
I've noticed that on days when I take my monthly shot, I should take it easy. No work outs, low stress, lots of water and good foods. So for the second day in a row, I'm on my ass. But tomorrow I will be back at it!! Related to this, I found a cool, free tool for people with RA. It's the RA Fit Kit which you can personalize a workout routine to fit your needs and fitness level. Just thought I'd pass that along!
I'm going to chill out today but tomorrow life goes back to 'normal.'
Tschus.
bubbie! be careful. rest. relax. be easy.xx
ReplyDeleteI shall do my best :)
ReplyDelete