Sunday, May 20, 2012

Plant Impatience

I'm plant impatient. Through the generous help of my husband, father and neighbor, I was able to get my flower beds going this year. I tried to choose a lot of perennials to save money over the long run. All the plants are so little! I can't wait for them to fill out and have more blooms. I can already see the front yard needs more water and the back yard...the dogs and I are still battling for supremacy over the plants.

I didn't pick last year's onions so they grew back. I gave up a bit on doing vegetables this year and only put in one tomato plant. The rest is herbs: thyme, rosemary, basil and oregano.

What a mess this is. Last year the crab grass took over and the dirt was hard as cement. My husband dug it all up again for me and we planted a peony root, five coneflower roots, sage and lavender. If the roots don't come up I will try putting in established plants one more time before I mulch. If those die off, I'm saying hell with it, covering the area in mulch and making it look more like a tiny park. I'll put various sizes and shapes of potted plants there instead of trying to put more plants in the unforgiving soil. I would also like to try attaching a lattice to the fence behind it and seeing what I can get to grow up the fence.

The front yard is starting to come along. I hope the summer sun is kinder to us this year because last year it was way too hot. Here is what I have done so far.

Last year's lavender is really growing! And a zinnia to keep it company.

This is part of the bed on the side of the garage. Coneflowers and a peony have started growing. I have another lavender started, more zinnias and a few petunias.

This was a real eyesore but it looks 100 times better already. I'm worried that the next big rain storm will wash it downhill. I'm hoping that the plants will establish well and prevent too much erosion. I have lavender, dianthas and coral bells.

Roses are going crazy. Not sure what the other bush is called but it doesn't have much going for it. I need to get them trimmed up more.

This is a beautiful bloom on the tree in our front yard. I have no idea what it is, do any of you??

Welcome! This solar doggy doesn't work. Kind of a POS but I will keep him around anyway. That's all for now. Hurry up and grow already!! G'night.

3 comments:

  1. Your garden looks beautiful. You've been working hard! I'm jealous that you've got peonies-- I've never grown them but I want to try. I think that big bloom looks like a magnolia. Gorgeous garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeppers- magnolia! They can grow to be ginormous and provide great shade and lovely flowers.

    Where the dirt was especially hard and packed did you add anything to it? Sometimes mixing in a bag of dirt with miracle grow in it goes a long way to improving the quality.

    Y'all have really made progress! So jealous of your lavender. I have tried and tried to grow it. Are you going to dry any of it for sachets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea it was a Magnolia! The tree is so small and I pictured them to be big trees. I should look at how to care for it.

    Becky: I added some miracle grow potting soil to the holes when I planted. The bed is on a subtle slope and I wonder if the drainage is poor or if it's just the clay in the soil. As far as the lavender, so far it's been the only thing I've been able to really grow. I would like to dry some but again, I know nothing about this. When to harvest, how much to cut off, etc. So much to learn!

    ReplyDelete